Sep 12, 2010

japanese work in progress

So far so good.

The wonderful people at m is for make sent me this book I ordered from them with a helpful sheet of common japanese terms translated into english. I first tried to translate each of them but it took me too long. I had to memorize the crazy symbols, look them up in the sheet, going back and forth like a million times, only to find that the term I was looking up meant "front" or "back", which was quite obvious from just looking at the drawing. The pattern is quite easy, front, back, two sleeves and the neck binding. It wasn't difficult to find the pieces in the pattern sheet, but I highlighted them in red before tracing just in case. I suppose that those funny symbols are telling me important things before cutting but I have no way to find out. As my sewing time is limited, when I'm unsure about a pattern, I sew it first in a repurposed fabric so that it is wearable. For this jacket I had chose this gorgeous Heather Ross design but the first version will be made with a mauve linen from one of my old maternity outfits. It is actually a high quality fabric, 100% linen, with a lovely drape, but it's been worn a lot so I'm happy to turn it into something new from my girls.
My pieces are all cut out now. I'll head for the sewing machine soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...